"Sometimes when you sacrifice something precious, you're not really losing it. You're just passing it along to someone else." Mitch Albom

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

School Days

    Wow!  What a month it has been!  We have had a lot of trials and tribulations in our household this month...hopefully, they are over.  Churry had a great day at school today.  During short weeks such as Thanksgiving week we have rotations where each of the 6 first grade classes passes through my room for a 30 minute lesson.  My lesson that they all heard was about assistance dogs, how they should behave when they see one, puppy raising, etc.  They also were able to help me out by taking turns greeting Churry, which is a skill she has been regressing on recently.  Of course, she greeted each and every one of the students perfectly with her paws and bottom on the floor and her tongue in her mouth! 

     She also showed off some of her commands to each of the classes.  There were many oohs and aahs when she "jumped on" to a table, did a "here up", a "go up", carried a pencil between two students, and remained in a perfect stay while they all either walked over the top of her or in a circle around her.  I was very proud of her today!

      Other challenges that she has while at school with me include joining the class for storytime and the discussion that follows.  During this time the students and I are gathered on the carpet with me in a chair and the students all gathered in on the floor in front of me.  I put Churry in a Down/Under under my legs during this time.  It is challenging because all of the students are right there up close to her and she is expected to ignore them.  She does a really good job with this.

    
     She spent the remainder of the day snoozing under my desk like she usually does when she's there.  And when she got home, she enjoyed a nap after a hard day's work!

No comments:

Post a Comment