"Sometimes when you sacrifice something precious, you're not really losing it. You're just passing it along to someone else." Mitch Albom

Monday, September 16, 2013

A Study Buddy

    We have been really busy learning around here!  Unfortunately, I haven't taken pictures of any of it.  I'm just not good at remembering my camera lately.  Jet is learning and maturing every day though.  He is up to 43 pounds!  He's a tall broad boy!  One thing that Jet is struggling with is having people walk behind him.  I've noticed it in a variety of situations.  So, we started off at home working on it in a Sit/Stay situation.  I put him in a Sit/Stay and tried to walk in a small circle around him.  Having wood floors proved to be a disadvantage for what I was trying to do because he simply slid his bottom in a circle in order to keep me in front of him.  But, we practiced and practiced and I can now walk in a circle around him and he keeps his bottom in place.

    We have now moved on to having someone walk closely behind him as we are going for walks.  At first, he would have NOTHING to do with this!  He would NOT turn around and walk facing forward.  In fact, it wasn't just his head stretching around to look behind him....he would have to turn his entire body around.  He didn't want another person or dog behind him.  Period.  End of story.  Finally, after a few long walks, he will walk calmly with Husker (the little yellow lab puppy I introduced you to a while back) and Husker's people walking behind us with minimal checks over his shoulder to see what they're up to.  I love having Husker to practice with.  It's teaching Jet to work around other dogs and Husker is getting good training as well.  A win win situation!  I'll try to take a picture of the little buddies in the next couple of days!

No comments:

Post a Comment