"Sometimes when you sacrifice something precious, you're not really losing it. You're just passing it along to someone else." Mitch Albom

Saturday, August 4, 2012

A Horse Show

     One of my favorite things to do is go enjoy a horse show.  :)  Being that I'm the only person I know who enjoys this I never really go see any.  So I decided it would be a good outing and made Churry go to one with me today.  It was a very small one, but it worked out well because we were able to sit right by the rail where the horses were going by.  I wanted to accomplish a couple of things today.  One, practice being in a Down/Under without popping up every time she saw something, heard something, or just got bored.  Second, being exposed to horses again.  She has met horses at my parents house, but it's been awhile.  This would obviously be a time when she couldn't just walk up to them and greet them if she felt like it.  She did fairly well.  She popped up a few times, but only when somebody stopped to talk to me and then reached their hand right under me to pet her.  Can't get too upset with the dog in that moment!  I do wish, however, that she would have gone back under my seat a bit more willingly after she was up.  As far as the horses, she was very interested in watching them, but didn't pull at all to try to go to them.  She just stayed under my seat and rested her head on my foot or the bleacher so she could watch them go by.  One bonus of the day was some kids went stomping very loudly all over the metal bleachers we were sitting on.  One even went right over the top of the one Churry was directly underneath.  She didn't even pop up!  I was very pleased with that moment!  The mom was very upset that they were interrupting our training, but I reassured her that I couldn't have planned it better myself.  I told her if there are no unexpected distractions, then it's not a very challenging experience for Churry so I actually appreciated it.    And I'm glad I found a companion to go enjoy horses with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment